Summer is the best time to enjoy the outdoors - on land or in the water. Here are 11 fun ways to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Ride a bike along the well-connected trails. Start at Tom Harkin Trailhead, Iowa City's Lower City Park or Penn Meadows Park. Bike rentals and fix-it stations are available throughout the area.
- Visit Iowa City's skate park at Terrell Mill Park Dubuque Street to practice your skills.
- Take a long walk through F.W. Kent Park, featuring a 27-acre lake.
- Try a round of golf at Brown Deer or Finkbine Golf Course.
- Play sand volleyball at the Hawkeye Recreation Fields.
- Practice your tennis game on the courts at S.T. Morrison Park.
- Let your dog expend some energy at Thornberry Dog Park.
- Sail or boat on Coralville Lake, a gorgeous lake adjacent to North Liberty, and nearby Lake McBride. Local Adam shares some tips on where to go for a great experience.
- Hike the trail overlooking the Iowa River at Squire Point.
- Kayak on the Iowa River or at Terry Trueblood Recreation Area for a pleasant glide on the water.
- Visit one of the local aquatic centers (Coralville Aquatic Center, North Liberty Aquatic Center, City Park Pool) or splash pads to cool off.