Need some guidance for off-site itinerary ideas? Read below for ideas and inspiration to get a true taste of this community's rich offerings.
For the History Buff
- 1876 Coralville School House: Come face to face with Johnson County history in the newly renovated 1876 Coralville School House. Tours are available upon request.
- Herbert Hoover Presidential Museum and Library: Experience the extraordinary life of Iowa’s only president and see changing exhibits at the Hoover Museum.
- Johnson County Historical Society: In addition to the JCHS Museum, the society also manages and interprets four historic sites: Plum Grove Historic Home, the 1855 Johnson County Poor Farm & Asylum, Coralville Old Town Hall, and the 1876 Coralville Schoolhouse.
- Pentacrest Museums: Experience The University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums, the Museum of Natural History and the Old Capitol Museum.
For the Sports Enthusiast
- University of Iowa Athletics: Go Hawks! See the very best in college sports action.
- University of Iowa Athletics Hall of Fame: Experience 100+ years of University of Iowa athletic excellence under one spacious roof.
- Iowa City Fencing Center: The Iowa City Fencing Center (ICFC) offers fun and exciting instruction in the Olympic sport of fencing.
- Brown Deer Golf Course: Brown Deer is an 18-hole public course with driving range and practice facility.
For the Girlfriend’s Getaway
- Brush and Barrel: Brush and Barrel provides the opportunity to recreate beautiful paintings in a fun and relaxed social setting. Complimentary beer and wine are available.
- Cedar Ridge Vineyards: Cedar Ridge is a family-owned vineyard, winery, distillery and event space.
- Tanger Outlets: Located in Williamsburg, shop over 50 of the nation's leading designer and brand name stores.
- Iowa River Landing: Iowa River Landing is a remarkable, 180-acre mixed-use development located on Interstate 80 at Exit 242 (1st Avenue).
For the Beer Connoisseur
- Backpocket Brewing: One of Iowa’s newest breweries and maker of world class craft beers.
- Big Grove Brewery & Taproom: Big Grove Brewery & Taproom is a 26,000 sq-ft brewery, restaurant and entertainment venue.
- Millstream Brewing Company: Sample one of the many hand-crafted nationally award-winning brews in the tap room, then relax in the outdoor biergarten with a cold brew.
- Kalona Brewing Company: This craft brewery and restaurant in downtown Kalona features 26 taps and hand-pulled, cask-conditioned ales.
- John's Grocery: With over 3,000 beers from around the world, John's Grocery is one of top places to shop for beer between Denver and Chicago.
For the Inspired Writer
- Iowa Writers' House: The Iowa Writers' House is a hub of literary activity, holding workshops, lectures, and educational opportunities.
- Prairie Lights Books: An Iowa City landmark, its three floors of fine literature include an acclaimed children’s department, café and wine bar.
- Iowa Writer’s Library: The Iowa Writer’s Library is a collection of approximately 800 books written by former students, graduates, and faculty of the nationally renowned Iowa Writers’ Workshop.
- Iowa Avenue Literary Walk: Take a stroll along the Literary Walk, and you'll discover the outstanding array of writers involved with the Iowa Writers’ Workshop.
For the Adventurous
- Terry Trueblood Recreation Area: Terry Trueblood Recreation Area has become a popular stop for outdoor enthusiasts who want to fish, kayak, hike, or bird-watch.
- Coralville Lake & Devonian Fossil Gorge: Enjoy boating, swimming, hiking, disc golf, mountain biking, walking and the Visitor Center. The Visitor Center is open daily during the summer.
- Colony Pumpkin Patch (Seasonal): The patch offers fun for all ages like train rides, swings, giant games, hayrack rides, 9+ acre corn maze, corn cannon, Shootout Paintball Shack, and fall decor.
- Wilson’s Orchard (Seasonal): Wilson’s offers apple picking, tractor rides on the weekends, a retail shop, bakery and more.
For the Budding Artist
- Coralville Center for the Performing Arts: A 482-seat theater offers a variety of performances are offered annually.
- FilmScene: FilmScene is a non-profit cinema in downtown Iowa City featuring two screens, a rooftop patio, and a cafe serving beer and wine.
- Hancher Auditorium: Hancher Auditorium connects great artists with great audiences by presenting dance, music, theater, and family events featuring performers from around the world.
- University of Iowa Museum of Art: The University of Iowa Museum of Art has one of the top university art collections, including paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, photographs, ceramics, textiles, jade, and silver.