What gems hide in plain sight in Iowa City’s libraries, museums, and archives?
At the area’s first-ever archives crawl, visitors can snoop in between the pages of historic diaries, read other people’s mail, hold feathers and fossils, and peer into mysteries revealed by historic artifacts like swords and locks of hair kept in remembrance.
Between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm, the following sites will be open to the public. Each will offer tours, demonstrations, and short talks by experts (see specific times below). Start your crawl at any of these sites, where you can pick up an archives crawl “passport” and map. Bring your fully stamped passport to any site for a prize!
- University of Iowa Main Library, 125 W. Washington St.
- University of Iowa Museum of Natural History, Macbride Hall, 17 N. Clinton St.
- Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St.
- State Historical Society of Iowa Research Center, 402 Iowa Ave.
- Bonus 5th Site: Dada Futures exhibit at the UI Memorial Union, 125 N. Madison St.
Just start your crawl at any of the sites above, where you can pick up an archive crawl "passport" and a map. Bring your completed passport to any site for a prize. All events are free and open to the public.
- Dates: February 24, 2018
- Time: 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM
- Price: Free